Every year more than 22.000 people are exposed to carbon monoxide gas. This silent but deadly, colorless, odorless, tastless gas claims numerous lives annually.
The most widely recognized soure of carbon monoxide comes from the family autombiles. Carbon monoxide is also produced during the burning of fuel, including woo, coal or naturalgas. Exposure occurs when faulty appliances or automobiles produce fatal concentrations of carbon monoxide.
Dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide deprive the body of oxygen. Symptoms from low level exposure include:
The best way to protect yourself and your family is by installing a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Follow manufacturer instructions for installation and make sure the detector meets standards IAS 696 or UL 2034. Other ways to prevent exposure include properly maintaining :
THE NEW JERSEY POISON INFORMATION AND EDUCATION SYSTEM
To reach NJPIES hotline call: 1-800-poison-1
( 1-800-764-7661 )